Let’s face it – men aren’t always at the front of the line when it comes to cosmetic services like laser hair removal (LHR). But, they really should be! If you struggle with unwanted facial or body hair and desire a long-term solution for it, it’s time to choose LHR. Here’s your quick and easy guide on the best laser hair removal for men in DC!
First Things First, What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a light-based hair removal treatment that uses a laser to target and damage your hair follicles. This damage then results in permanent hair reduction, as well as delayed growth until the growing stops entirely.
This is primarily achieved by targeting the dark pigment in your follicles, known as melanin, though some laser systems exist to bypass melanin for patients who have medium to deep skin tones. LHR is a gradual process, requiring six to 12 sessions in order to optimally reduce hair.
What Are the Most Common Treatment Areas for Men?
The best laser hair removal for men in DC can be performed almost anywhere on the body, provided that the skin being treated is healthy with no signs of infection, skin disease, or irritation. That being said, men’s goals are different compared to women’s, and the most common treatment areas include:
- Beard line
- Pubic region
How Do You Prepare for Laser Hair Removal Appointments?
Preparation is the key to any successful cosmetic procedure, LHR included. Here are a few ways you can prep for your upcoming session, though you should be sure to follow all prep instructions given to you by your laser expert:
- Inform your provider if you have any concerns, medical conditions, or questions.
- Do not tan using UV exposure (natural sunlight or tanning beds) or sunless tanners.
- Protect your skin from UV exposure using sunscreen.
- Stop waxing or tweezing your hair, though shaving is fine. The hair root must be intact for LHR to work.
- Stop using products with potent active ingredients like retinoids or AHAs / BHAs.
- Shave the day before or of your appointment.
What Should You Expect During Your LHR Sessions?
This is a simple and straightforward procedure that will go by quicker than you expect it to, and it often takes just a few minutes for small areas and an hour for large areas.
You will be in a comfortable position the entire time as your laser technician uses a handheld device to guide the laser across your skin, swiftly targeting your hair follicles. Most people liken this sensation to a rubber band snapping against their skin – annoying, not painful.
What Is the Best Aftercare Post-LHR Appointment?
Alongside preparation, aftercare following your laser hair removal sessions is a must. Here’s what you should do:
- Apply a cold compress or cool, damp washcloth to reduce swelling and redness.
- Continue to shave when needed, but don’t wax or tweeze.
- Practice sun safety by covering up or using sunscreen.
- Take pain medications that are approved by your provider to reduce discomfort.
- Use gentle, unscented products to clean and moisturize the treated area.
Should You Opt for At-Home or Professional Laser Hair Removal?
As a general rule, at-home devices simply don’t compare to professional in-office treatments. If you really want results that actually last as well as a safe and effective experience, stick with a professional.
The Final Takeaway? Choose DC Derm Docs for the Best Laser Hair Removal for Men in DC!
Achieve the look you want with our exceptional cosmetic face and body treatments for men, including laser hair removal! If you’re tired of fighting with hair and are ready to ditch high-maintenance methods, we have you covered. Call us at 202-822-9591 to book a consultation!