Acne is such a common problem that knowing when to seek help can be challenging. However, there are signs you should know about. Keep reading to discover when it’s time to visit the best dermatologist for acne in Washington, DC for treatments such as dilute steroid injections or AviClear.
What Causes Acne? What Are the Symptoms?
This skin condition develops due to various factors, including excess oil production, clogged hair follicles, bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes), and inflammation. Hormonal changes, genetics, certain medications, and diet can also contribute. The condition typically affects areas with many oil glands, such as the face, chest, and back.
Most patients think acne is just the presence of a pimple, but symptoms can be severe if left untreated. Common skin changes include but are not limited to blackheads, crusty skin bumps, cysts, papules (small red bumps), pustules (small bumps containing pus), redness, and whiteheads.
How Do I Know It’s Time to Get Help for My Skin?
The truth is anytime you have skin concerns, you should see the best dermatologist for acne in Washington, DC. Acne might be just that, or it could be the result of an underlying health condition. The following are sure signs medical treatment is necessary:
- If your acne is severe, with deep cysts or nodules, professional treatment is often necessary.
- If the condition persists for several months despite over-the-counter treatments, it’s time to see a specialist.
- If it leaves scars or hyperpigmentation, a dermatologist can help prevent further damage and recommend scar treatments.
- If over-the-counter products aren’t effective, or if you’ve tried home remedies without success, prescription medications from a healthcare provider may be required.
- If acne affects your self-esteem, mental health, or daily life, seek professional help.
- For hormonal acne, especially in females, a dermatologist can prescribe appropriate treatments.
- When unsure about the type of acne or its triggers, a dermatologist can diagnose the cause and recommend personalized care.
What Are the Most Common Acne Treatments?
Remember, early intervention can prevent scarring and alleviate the physical and emotional burden of acne. You have plenty of options! Don’t be surprised if they recommend a combination of options for optimal results.
Effective treatments include birth control pills (for females) and prescription topical and / or oral medications. Spironolactone, antibiotics, and tretinoin are often prescribed. Additionally, therapies like microneedling, IPL(intense pulsed light), and customized facials may be beneficial.
One acne treatment that is making headlines is called AviClear. It’s the first FDA-approved laser technology that is suitable for all skin types. Chemical free and virtually painless, this procedure yields long-lasting results.
Lifestyle changes including dietary adjustments, stress management, and a customized skincare routine for acne-prone skin are likely to be suggested by your dermatologist.
How Quickly Can I Expect to See Acne Treatment Results?
Acne can be complicated, and it may take some time for you to see visible results. Don’t give up hope though! Once you and your dermatologist land on a course of action that works, your skin health should start to improve within weeks.
The most important steps you can take are to remain patient, be consistent with your treatment plan, and follow all instructions given to you by the dermatologist.
You’ll Find the Best Dermatologist for Acne in Washington DC Here at DC Derm Docs!
Today is a great day to take control of your skin health! Call us now at 202-822-9591 to book your appointment with one of our renowned dermatologists. Our practice offers cutting-edge medical and cosmetic procedures and technology to ensure you achieve amazing results and clear skin. We make it easy to take advantage of our services with monthly specials, cosmetic packages, and exclusive rewards programs!