Treating acne can be troublesome. While it is possible to have some success treating acne with over-the-counter remedies, it’s always best to see the best acne doctor in Chevy Chase.
That way you’ll feel confident knowing you’re getting the help you need through treatments such as AviClear.
I Take Good Care of My Skin, So Why Do I Have Acne?
There are multiple reasons you can have persistent acne despite your best efforts. There are four main acne causes: excess oil production, clogged hair follicles, inflammation, and bacteria.
Your skin might not clear up because you’re not giving products time to work. You might apply the treatment only to blemishes when you should be treating your skin as a whole. You could also be using the wrong makeup or skincare products or even washing your face too much.
There is also the possibility you have an underlying medical condition that is contributing to your breakouts. It’s important to see an acne specialist (dermatologist) to determine the exact cause. That’s the only way to receive the right treatment.
How Do I Find the Best Acne Doctor Near Me?
Many people don’t take the health of their skin very seriously. It’s often overlooked, but the truth is the best acne doctor in Chevy Chase should be a part of your personal healthcare team. You should have regular dermatological checkups to protect your overall health.
Finding the right provider for you isn’t difficult. It requires a little patience and some homework on your part. The time you take to find the right acne doctor for you is worth it!
Here are tips the experts recommend:
- Organize your search. Get a notebook to write down your notes. This will help you keep your search organized, and it’ll be much less stressful for you.
- Check with your health insurance provider. Many men and women choose this route first, simply because having insurance coverage helps offset out-of-pocket medical expenses.
When you contact your insurance provider, find out details about your dermatology coverage. Ask about co-pays, referrals, and what treatments and prescriptions are covered.
- No insurance? Start your search here. If you don’t have insurance, it might be helpful to ask your primary care provider for a recommendation. Your friends and family are often good sources of information too.
Make a list of three or four acne doctors. That way, you’ve got choices.
- Verify credentials. Before choosing an acne doctor, you need to check into their credentials. Specifically, you are looking for board certification from the American Board of Dermatology or the American Osteopathic Board of Dermatology.
You should make sure this is an acne doctor who has years of experience as well. Find out about their approach to dermatology and whether or not they stay current with treatment options.
- Read online reviews. Take a moment to read reviews and patient testimonials. You can usually find this on a doctor’s website and their social media pages. Google and Yelp might be helpful for you too, since they’re third-party sites and aren’t filtered.
- Pay attention to how you feel. The best acne doctor is one who is compassionate and understanding. They are good listeners. You should feel completely comfortable discussing your concerns and asking questions. You should be given clear and complete answers. It’s important you feel at ease with any doctor you choose.
How Do I Prepare for My First Acne Doctor Appointment?
You’ll be given instructions on how to prepare for your appointment when you book it, but there are some things to keep in mind.
- If possible, document your symptoms in a journal and take that with you. Pay attention to potential triggers. Your acne doctor will want to know when and how often you break out.
- Take photos of your acne. This is helpful so your acne doctor can see what your blemishes look like even if you aren’t experiencing any at the time of your exam.
- Make a list of treatments you’ve tried in the past. Include prescriptions, over-the-counter treatments, and holistic / alternative methods you’ve tried.
Wear loose, comfortable clothing to your appointment. Your acne doctor may want to check your skin all over.
Keep makeup minimal, and don’t wear nail polish. Wearing foundation or concealer is counterproductive if you really want your acne doctor to examine your skin. Clean skin is always best. Likewise, your nails can tell a lot about your overall health, so your specialist will want to take a look at them.
What Acne Treatments Are Available?
Your treatment plan depends on your specific needs and may combine a number of therapies to achieve clear skin. The most common acne treatment options include prescription medications, topical ointments / creams, facials, and laser / light therapies. You might be advised to make lifestyle changes to your diet or to try new skincare products.
Do You Truly Want the Best Acne Doctor in Chevy Chase? Then Choose DC Derm Docs!
At DC Derm Docs, you’ll meet with a board-certified provider who has years of experience successfully treating acne. We are leaders in dermatology and use only the most advanced treatments.
We understand it can feel overwhelming to see an acne doctor for the first time. Please know with us, you’ll be met with compassion and the highest quality care.
Stop suffering from stubborn, unsightly acne, and get the treatment you need. Contact us at 202-822-9591 to schedule your appointment. Let’s begin your journey to clear, beautiful skin today.